Transcending Boundaries Conference (TBC) is a weekend long Conference/Event where we discuss issues around gender, sex, sexuality and relationships, specifically those that don’t fit into conventional cisgender heteronormativity categories. The focus of the conference is our ever-evolving communities, including bisexual/other non-monosexual identities, queer, trans*, genderqueer, intersex, polyamorous, asexual and kinky persons and those who prefer not to use labels, as well as allies, families and partners.
Transcending Boundaries grew out of a project of BiNet USA, the national bisexual organization. Throughout the 1990’s, BiNet USA helped bisexual activists around the country organize on a local level. In the New England & New York Tri-State Region (Connecticut, New Jersey, Westchester, Long Island, Capitol District/Lower Hudson Valley and New York City) they helped activists sponsor regional conferences. In 2000 the Conference voted to continue the independently; by 2001 the group that ran the conferences formally became a 501(c)3 whose mission is to to run the Northeast regional conference for bisexual, trans* and intersex people and our allies; in 2009, this focus was expanded to include the polyamorous community as well.
At this time of year we get so busy with planning that we forget to tell you all what’s happening! Let’s catch up.
- Tomorrow (Sunday September 9) at 1 PM is our monthly organizers meeting. Attending an organizers meeting is a great way to get involved with the conference and you can attend from anywhere worldwide via skype. E-mail email@example.com if you want to join the skype conference call.
- Immediately before, at noon, the content committee will meet to finalize this years workshop offerings. If you’re curious what we’ve got so far, check out Our Workshops Page
- This indiegogo campaign is near and dear to our hearts (for obvious reasons!) These guys are coming a long way to be with us!
- We’re looking for intersex voices to contribute to our Intersex Awareness Day event at 11 AM on October 26 through speaking live, recording their thoughts to be played, or writing thoughts to be read at the event. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration rates go up on October 1 so if you haven’t registered, now is the time! As our hotel block last year sold out, we also recommend booking your rooms at the Sheraton as soon as possible