6 things That Girl Mag’s lesbian (or bisexual or LGBTQ+ ) BFF wishes she’d known BEFORE starting College
while this article was written specifically by/for a person who identifies as lesbian, it actually has some smart and applicable advice for ALL LGBTQ+ people —Before I went to college, I thought I knew a lot, but I actually didn’t know anything. Now I know a bit more (but still not much at all). Here are six things I wish someone had told me before I started college as a bright-eyed baby gay.
But also! College is awesome. And it’s scary and wonderful and full of people with lots of different genders and sexual orientations, and y’all should be excited.
- No one cares about your sexuality (unless they want to sleep with you).
- Coming out is awkward.
- Being a queer freshman is kind of like going through seventh grade and freshman year of college at the same time.
- Get help when it might be helpful.
- Don’t be afraid to get involved.
- Colleges are great, but we need to work more to make them better.